When it comes to childbirth, we all want to have an easy, short, and healthy labour and delivery. While there are a number of things you can do to help achieve that, there’s evidence that something as simple as eating 4-6 dates during pregnancy can help.
Three separate studies suggest that eating dates during pregnancy can help you have an easier labor and birth—and all three studies have fairly consistent results.
Research suggests that dates:
- Have an oxytocin-like effect on the body, leading to increased sensitivity of the uterus
- Stimulates uterine contractions
- Reduces postpartum haemorrhage the way oxytocin does.
- 1 cup of dates
- 2 cups of rolled oats
- 3/4 desiccated coconut
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 tbsp nut butter of choice
- Place dates in a pot of water and bring to the boil.
- Drain the dates and put the liquid into a container and set aside.
- Place drained dates, coconut, nut butter, oats and cacao in a food processor.
- Add roughly 1/4 of the date liquid to the mix and process (you may need a little more liquid than this, add it slowly until the mix holds its shape. If you accidentally add too much liquid add a little more of the other dry ingredients to balance).
- Roll mixture into 12 balls and store in the fridge or freezer.
- Roll in extra coconut if desired.
- Make extra and freeze them!!
- This recipe makes 12 balls.
Image thanks to Monika Grabkowska
And don’t forget to book in to help prepare for the birth of your baby and beyond.
Acupuncture from 30 weeks aims to reduce time spent in labour, prevent tearing and lessening the rate of medical intervention including inductions and caesarean sections.
Acupuncture can engage the baby in the pelvis, softens the cervix, prepare the uterus to effectively contract during birth and prevent overdue deliveries.
Normally we do:
30 weeks = 1 acupuncture treatment
34 weeks = 1 acupuncture treatment
36 weeks = 1 acupuncture treatment
37 weeks = 1 acupuncture treatment
38 weeks = 1 acupuncture treatment
39 weeks = 1 acupuncture treatment
40 weeks = free treatment every 3rd day