Early on, a big challenge that people with Meniere’s disease face is lack of information. It is a disease that requires ruling out all other known causes of the problems you are facing, then it basically feels like, after excluding all other possibilities, you are left with a diagnosis of Meniere’s disease. All the while, living in fear that another episode may strike at any time. How frustrating.
To diagnose Meniere’s disease you would have had:
- Two episodes of vertigo, each lasting 20 minutes or longer but not longer than 12 hours
- Hearing loss verified by a hearing test
- Tinnitus or a feeling of fullness in your ear
- Exclusion of other known causes of these problems.
This is no cure for Meniere’s disease. Your doctor may prescribe short term medications to take during a vertigo episode to lessen the severity of an attack such as Valium which may reduce the spinning sensation and help control nausea and vomiting. They may also prescribe anti-nausea medications which might control nausea and vomiting during an episode of vertigo.
Long term, your doctor may prescribe a medication to reduce fluid retention (diuretic) and suggest that you limit your salt intake. For some people, this combination helps control the severity and frequency of Meniere’s disease symptoms.
Although there is no cure, through certain lifestyle changes, we aim to help you cope with Meniere’s disease by easing frequency and intensity of attacks. We will work with you to:
- Document and eliminate triggers. Although it may seem that your symptoms are random, they are usually triggered by some external factor in your environment. It is different for each person but if you can identify and eliminate the common triggers, you will have better results. We will help you track sleep, diet, stress, weather, medications/supplements, vertigo attacks, exercise and symptoms.
- Learning to cope with anxiety, as you live in what feels like constant fear that as episode can strike at any moment, we will support you with lifestyle advice, acupuncture and/or herbal supplements.